Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Graduation ceremony

Since Thailand, we have had an on and off work schedule.  The students came back to school for a 1 1/2 weeks to review.  I played games and did crafts with the classes I had to teach.  On the last day of classes, a graduation ceremony was held for the 6th graders.  It consisted of the 6th graders, their parents and family, and the 4th and 5th graders sitting and observing.  We all watched while students were called up to receive awards and wrapped gifts for various reasons.  The only time I understood was when one of the teachers told me "They maked good grades in class," said one of the teachers.  The good students got about 8 awards each and I think some of their uniforms were paid for and given to them for their middle schools.

After about 3 or 4 awards, they would switch award givers.  It all seemed very unorganized and time consuming (they obviously didn't prepare who would give what until that exact moment).  I was told that each of the people who gave awards also donated money for scholarships so they wanted everyone to be recognized.

My co-workers and I.  Can you spot me?  I'll give you a hint, I'm the only one smiling.

After all of the awards, two chairs were placed with their backs facing the audience.  Students and their parents walked up in pairs to the stage.  The students went to the microphones while the parents sat in the chairs facing their children.  Each child recited a speech.  Thank you for raising me, I'm sorry I didn't do well this year, I promise I will do better next year, I love you etc.  It was very cute- and something like this should be implemented in America!

Once the last student finished thanking their parent, we all quickly broke down the tables, put away the chairs, and within minutes, the gym was cleared.  The ceremony was only a couple of hours and after it, the students and parents seemed to have bolted like lightning.  I guess the 6th graders were desperate to be done with elementary school- I know I was at that age!  The teachers and I went out to lunch before retiring back to our offices to prepare for the new semester.

6th grade graduation yearbook.  They got to do two poses- one fun and one serious.

The next day was the closing ceremony.  We all crowded into the gym like the day before for graduation except this time, it was freezing!  They didn't turn the heat on and the below freezing weather crept into the gym overnight through the thin windows and doors.  We all stood in our winter coats nonchalantly moving our legs so we could continue to feel our toes.  Awards were given to a few students, the Principal, VP and head of teachers spoke, and then we quickly scooted out of the gym and back into the teacher's office.

I think my favorite is the hand on elbow and face like he's crying.

We went to lunch, and then came back for more preparing.  That afternoon, everyone came to the teacher's room for a meeting.  We all sat down and discussed the next semester- where all of the teachers were told what grade they would be teaching in March (teachers can choose what grade they want to teach, whether to stay with their students, stay with their grade, or change it up completely).

Korean schools start at the beginning of March, go until the end of  July, have summer vacation until September, and then continue school until the end of December.  From December until March, they hold winter camps for the students in between winter breaks.  So the classes before March are still considered part of the previous semester even though it is after exams which are held in December.





No comments:

Post a Comment